Saturday, April 4, 2009

Come and Spend the Morning With Me

Stefanie texted me this morning to let me know she was at the brake shop waiting for them to open and to make sure I was going to pick her up like we had planned. I texted her back to let her know I would. I dressed quickly and headed down the road to get her.

We talked for a bit just standing in the kitchen like we have done for years. We always have a lot to say to each other. She told me about her new little kitten, Libby and how her older cat Simba was acting toward the new kitten. OK, let's get down to work here!!! Stef let me know that she had kind of planned on getting a nap in before she had to leave for work. Not so my dear. You are mine for the morning.

We headed upstairs and went past Danielle's closed door. Quietly we went into Stef's old room with all the odds and ends that had been left there for me to deal with. We put the twin bed in the basement, took pictures off the walls (man were they dusty!!) and the most fun of all, pulled the old dresser out from the wall and tried to figure out how the mirror was attached to it. We tried to not wake Danielle as we struggled and sweat over the awkward pieces of furniture and also tried not to step on the cat as we went. Only one time did he slip past us and ended up under Danielle's car parked in the garage. The under side of the car wasn't nearly as dirty as I thought it would be. I pulled Jack out and put him back in the house.

The old dresser fits perfectly in the garage. It will come in handy out there. I will find lots of things to use it for..... I put it on my side of the garage so I don't have to worry about Danielle driving into it. I speak from experience. I had a dented freezer out there for years before it bit the dust.

There are still bits and pieces of her childhood in the old room but I can manage them. She sorted through some memories and let me know what she wants and what she doesn't want. We found a lot of coins, trash, and Q-tips. Jack had fun. Stef and I are sore and dusty but in a good way (for me). She took a shower and dressed for work. The Jeep's brakes are good now. She owes me big time for this one. Making a payment plan. I'm standing firm on this one. Even the guys at the brake shop were quizzing her on how long she has had the vehicle and how they inspect brakes for free before you buy. I think she did learn from this experience. Enough said.

I can think of a lot of nicer ways to spend a sunny Saturday morning but we accomplished some much needed work. Actually I enjoyed her company too. I doubt if she will be back next Saturday.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Some things just need to be done ... and doesn't feel good now that it is! Congrats on that ... and on recruiting some help! :)

Small Footprints
http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com

Jeanne Estridge said...

Ah, mother-daughter bonding time! There's nothing quite like it.

flydragon said...

Ha, you mean mother-daughter battle of the wills. And mom won!!
Whoo hoo....moms rule!!!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Way to go! Now the fun can begin! :)

Jan said...

I forgot to mention that I made her a breakfast of chocolate chip pancakes. The morning did have its good points.

Roshni said...

I'm sure she enjoyed the experience perhaps more than you did, coz they were her things and memories that she went thru!

Rachel Cotterill said...

I spent this morning (and, well, most of this afternoon as well) painting the porch with my hubby. We have all the rest of the windows to do as well, but oh, how nice it'll be once it's finished!! :)

Anonymous said...

Glad you got the job done!

Debbie said...

What a bittersweet time! Glad you all could do that together.

Jane! said...

She's lucky she has you to help with life's lessons.
Have you decided how to repurpose that room?

Andrea said...

Love this little snapshot into your morning. Even these mornings that seem routine, uneventful...have moments with meaning. I felt that in your post. :)

T said...

Ah, this was a great post. Glad you got the job done, too!

Anonymous said...

Has she finally cleared that room?

GG