Monday, April 20, 2009

Peace and Quiet!!!!!!

The answer is pretty obvious to me and K and Far Side and Roshni et al. I finally got rid of the land line phone. I have been wanting to for a while and my husband kept asking me when I was going to do it. It just seemed so ......final.

The scene at our house at the end of a work day was this: I come in the door and the phone is ringing. Hmmmm. Someone trying to sell me new windows. I put away my things and attempt to feed the hungry cat. The phone rings. Someone wants Stefanie to pay a bill. I don't answer. I open the refrigerator to decide on what to prepare for dinner. The phone rings. I don't look at the caller id. I don't listen to any messages from earlier in the day. I don't answer the phone all evening. I look forward to 9pm when no one is allowed to call to sell me anything.

The last straw was when the phone rang, I looked at the caller id because who in their right mind just jumps up and answers the phone without looking to see who is bothering you? Well, it said "Capital One" and I thought OK I will answer it. I can be nice sometimes.

Me: Hello?

Capital One: Good bye! (computer voice)

I picked up my cell phone, called Comcast and cancelled the phone.

No regrets what so ever. Peace and quiet reigns supreme.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome!

Yay me.

Jeanne Estridge said...

Mine got pretty quiet as soon as the last teenager moved out!

Reasons said...

There are an annoying interruption it's true. I ignore mine quite a lot and the kids think I'm awful, but sometimes I'm just too busy and sometimes I just don't want to talk!! God how grumpy is that?!

What A Card said...

Enjoy! How freeing :)

Debbie said...

Why is that such a hard step for us? I can't do it yet.

T said...

I'm soooo jealous!! I want to get rid of my land line, but running a preschool/childcare out of my home, Licensing won't let me. UGH!!

Big congrats!

Far Side of Fifty said...

We cannot get a cell phone signal here..or I would have chopped the land line years ago. I wanted a pay phone at the end of the driveway... Far Guy insisted it be in the house. I try never to answer it..it bugs the heck out of me..in fact somedays it nearly drives me nuts. So I say BRAVO! Way to go..freedom at last! :)

Anonymous said...

Good for you. I'd do the same, but there are certain numbers that I can't call with my internet phone. And, can you believe it, I don't have a cell phone!