Monday, March 16, 2009

The House Next Door


downsized_0201091420.jpg
Originally uploaded by jntrowley
This is a painting that my oldest brother, Chuck did when he was in his early 20's. He had just gotten out of the army and had come home to go back to school. My grandmother had just died and my parents sent my brother to stay with our grieving grandfather. Well, I think poor Grandpa drove my brother nuts and Chuck ended up outside looking at the house next door. My brother always loved interesting architecture and tended to see things the way they used to be (or should have been) and so this painting came about. When I graduated from high school I told my brother that this was my favorite painting of all those he had done and he told me that I could have this one as a graduation present. I didn't feel right about taking it out of Dad's living room and when Dad died in 1993 I brought it home.

I have taken my daughters to see the original house back in Indiana and it certainly never looked this good in my lifetime. The people that lived here never took care of it and it was quite rundown. But in my brother's mind this is how it looked.

Chuck doesn't paint anymore as his two old houses and way too many antiques take up all his time. I hope that one day he will paint again.

9 comments:

What A Card said...

Wow, that's amazing! So beautiful and well done!

Jeanne Estridge said...

It's got kind of a folk art feel -- I love it!

Anonymous said...

It's an amazing painting - make even more so by hearing the story.

Jan said...

What I didnt mention is that Chuck gave all his paintings to our mother. She died in 1968 and Chuck never painted again.

Andrea said...

What a wonderful painting...he is very talented! I hope he paints again some day. Loved the story that accompanied it as well.

Anonymous said...

I think that as children we see our environment in a wonderous way. I always idealized things in my childhood, then when I saw them later, I was shocked.
Your brother's a good painter. Maybe he'll do more someday.

T said...

Wow what a beautiful painting. Very talented. I certainly hope he takes up painting again someday.

Debbie said...

I love paintings of homes. His is wonderful.

Wendy said...

Wow, I wish I had the kind of talent. It's amazing when people make it seem so easy!